Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I'm baaaack

I know everyone was waiting with bated breath for my return, but the truth is I spent all of summer avoiding the fact that school started again in September. Alas, with the first week of school down, I have begun to accept my fate which this year appears to be 6 weeks of class from 8-5 then a finals week over and over again. At the end of the year we get the special privilege of a cumulative final of all the drugs we learn over the year which will be around 1,000. Yippee! Mostly I've been trying to take it one day at a time so I don't look ahead and freak out about all the crap I have to do.

Thus far, we have learned how to read EKGs, about heart murmurs, asthma, emphysema, pulmonary function tests, and about the drugs used to treat asthma as well as blood thinners. We are also learning about teamwork which is taking up a surprising amount of time and I am not happy about it. We got thrown back into clinic with a fake patient who we had to interview and then do a physical exam on. I definitely did not feel ready for that yet but I guess I need to get used to not feeling ready and just performing.

Other than school, I've been settling into my apartment where I live alone! At the moment I have one chair that I get to sit in and no other seating so no one can come over. I bought a couch at home and then realized that it was way too big to fit in the door so I had to get a different one which will be delivered next week. Then hopefully my apartment will be pretty and finished. The only problem I am having now is that I have killed at least one spider or scary millipede each day since I moved in. It is so gross! Especially when those super fast millipedes scurry across my floor unexpectedly. ick.

I've also become accustomed to experiencing daily rage when I read more new exciting facts about that "pitbull with lipstick" who is running for VP. Usually I am a huge fan of strong successful women but in this case that is definitely not true. I think this is because she seems to me to have gotten to where she is by downplaying everything about herself that actually qualifies her as a candidate. Excuse me but it must take incredible political savvy to go from mayor of a tiny town to governor to VP candidate in a matter of years, don't tell me you just fell into politics. Acknowledge your accomplishments because I would much rather hear about real qualifications than the fact that you are a hockey mom, and a hot lady who isn't afraid to wear skirts (These things do NOT qualify your for anything except you know being a hot hockey mom.) I guess I feel like she is reducing herself in order to be nonthreatening to the exact people who nominated her, conservative old white men, and that is missing the entire point of the movement toward gender equality which by the way her running mate does not support. So even ignoring her political views which are the definition of extreme, she makes me want to scream. a lot. alot alot alot.

Anyway, I have lots of homework already which I have to fit around Mad Men and Gossip Girl. So I'll check back later!

3 comments:

Billie said...

I'm happy to see a post, Shannon. It is good to see your sense of humor and liberal outlook on life are still intact. :-)

This is a local, well-written editorial about Palin.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=213901&section=Columnists&columnist=Jane%20Ahlin

I wish every woman that considers herself a Democrat, but is saying she is voting Republican this year because they put a woman on the ticket, would read it.

Mal said...

Palin murders wolves...I can't vote for her. Also, could you listen to my heart and tell me what's wrong with it?? It sounds like, gu-gong, gu-gong...You're correct. It's Dirty Dancing Fever.

Becky and Greg said...

I, for one, was waiting not so patiently for your return. Sounds like you are getting settled in and the homework sounds awful, but I know whatever you set your mind to you will accomplish - no worries. As far as Sarah Palin goes - if you turned her around you would see the strings attached to her mouth - she is just a puppet for the Republicans, saying and doing exactly what they want her to say. She is a disgrace to the whole female species. And now a comment that takes us back too, but I truly think that that 4 month old baby needs his mother - only she can take care of him like he needs and obviously her other kids need her too. I'm old fashioned enough to believe that. I'm all for a women president or vp - just not her - not now.